Thursday 18 December 2014

July 1960 - The Cabin Roof and a Vacation Visit




In the summer of 1960, I'm standing west of the old summer cabin with its new roll-roofing and shingle roof.
My parents, my grandfather and I were vacationing at my grandfather's cabin for a week or so.
At one point during our visit I remember frankly expressed concerns about part of the roof leaking.
We would have travelled to Lac Saguay from Montreal by train.


My grandfather's scaffolding arrangement for his re-roofing project.


This may have been the first time my grandfather ever replaced a roof as he was a school teacher and principal for 40 years. However, he was one for assembling reference libraries and planning and calculating dimensions - his files are full of construction notes and drawings - so little was left to chance as the work got underway.


On the working side, you can see the contrast between the cedar shingles and the replacement tar shingles. Roll-roofing protects the peak. The device near the peak is likely a jig he prepared to ensure his courses of shingles were kept straight as he worked.


Playing among some shingles. This is not 'dangerous'. 
During this trip, I remember taking a rather large bite out of a cheap glass tumbler during a meal. 
I noted that the adults move very fast in your direction when that happens!


As these qualify as 'historic artifacts', and as I do get enthusiastic about documentation and how things were done, I will be inserting invoices, etc, as I find them. Note that the shingles were ordered from Eaton's. Earlier in this blog my grandfather's land was referred to as the 'Godmer property' and that family name appears above - Procule Godmer owns Mont-Laurier Express.



As shown elsewhere in this blog, here is the kitchen end of the cabin.


We are off  down the highway for groceries and coal oil from Painchaud's general store.
My grandfather bought this wagon for local use.


According to the book, we are at the hi-lite of the day (after one week there). 
This is our daily visit to the CPR station to see the Dayliner from Mont Laurier on its trip to Montreal. The book states that the section man lives in the house beyond while the local CPR agent lives in the station behind me. Moving forward from the camera would take you to Montreal.


This 2014 Google Earth image is aligned due north.
My grandfather's cabin location is at the top of the image.
Painchaud's is about 1 kilometer south from the cabin.

The approximate location of the old CPR station can be seen.
The former railway roadbed is the thin, grey line.
The old highway to Mont Laurier is the wider white line running parallel to its right.

Below, from my collection are public timetables showing passenger service on the line from Montreal to Mont Laurier - from April 1958.

I suspect the daily visit to the station was to see train 164 (second table), leaving Mont Laurier at 1420hr, and arriving at Lac Saguay at 1455hr.

Canadian Pacific Railway, Public Timetable, effective April 27, 1958

Canadian Pacific Railway, Public Timetable, effective April 27, 1958

Although I can't decipher the item ordered from Montreal, I am adding this matching receipt and CPR Express waybill from late 1960 for the sake of introducing the CPR document. This is the only evidence of CPR transportation being used for freight in my grandfather's files. I assume he would have picked the item up at the railway station.